3 Easy Steps for Successful Partnerships with Local Government
1. Strong commitment to collaborate with local government officials
Be open to partnerships, communicate to them often about what your doing, and how they can help, or how you can help them.
Example- Invite government agencies to table at your events or vice versa
2. Align your mission and priorities
Make sure your museum’s mission is reflective of your community’s priorities. Make yourself relevant to them.
Example- Get behind important local initiatives that are relative to your museum. Local governments look at museums as industry leaders in innovation and stewardship.
3. Become Valued
Through creativity and effort make local government value you as a local resource and treasure.
Example- You nurture the next generation in the fields of arts/sciences/technology. You are playing a fundamental role in the “educational landscape” of your city, connecting students to ideas and experiences conventional education neglects.
- Invite local government officials and employees to museum “free days”
- Develop community neighborhood nights for local residents and invite city government to participate
- Offer lower rate membership for low income families
- Develop a teen intern program for local students at low performing schools
Remember to nurture partnerships, so they are mutually beneficial.